Christian Medical College-Vellore
The Christian Medical College, Vellore (CMC) is a large multi-speciality teaching hospital situated about 140 kms to the west of Chennai city and is affiliated to Dr. M G R Medical University, Tamil Nadu.
CMC Medical College has a vocational statement of pursuing to be a witness to the healing ministry of Jesus Christ through excellence in education, service and innovation and research.
Vellore Christian Medical College was established in 1900 by an American missionary by the name of Dr. Ida Sophia Scudder, whereas the Nursing School was started in 1909, LMP course was heralded in 1918 and MBBS was started in 1942. CMC Vellore courses include 17 different programs in subjects including MBBS, Nursing, Allied Health Sciences, Postgraduate medical specialities, Distance learning programs in addition to PhD programs in several disciplines. Vellore Medical College produces about an average of 350 publications and research papers published in reputed indexed peer reviewed journals every year.
Currently, the Christian Medical College has about 2,700 beds across an array of 5 campuses and the hospital caters to every medical speciality as well as emergency. It is also furnished with a huge supply of sophisticated instruments and equipments including 3 MRI, 3 CT Scanners, 2 Advanced Linear Accelerators, a PET-CT scan and the latest auto analysers in the laboratories.
Vellore Medical College
In 2015, CMC Vellore was voted as the “2nd best Medical College in India” in surveys by India Today & The Week for MBBS. The College of Nursing is a WHO conjunctive center for Nursing and Midwifery Development.
Christian medical college offers MBBS, 57 post-graduate diploma and degree medical courses (MS, MD, DM, MCh, Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and PhD), 44 Allied Health Science courses, and 14 diploma courses in nursing and other fields, and 52 Fellowship courses. A total of about 2500 students are enrolled per year.
The MBBS course consists of four and a half years of academics, and one year of CRRI. A block posting in Community Health centres is an integral part of medical education. Students are posted in mission hospitals and secondary care centers.
CMC Vellore courses list is as below:
- 22 undergraduate degree courses ( MBBS, Nursing, Allied Health Sciences)
- 11 undergraduate diploma courses ( Nursing & AHS
- 148 post graduate courses ( degree, fellowships & diplomas) in a full range of Medical, Nursing & AHS specialties.
- 5 distance education courses
- PHD programs in various disciplines.
Training is available in diverse fields including dialysis therapy, Medical Records Science & Neurosurgery. The distinctive features of CMC Vellore courses is that all of them are taught by qualified, experienced faculty with practical application; as students learn skills on the job in clinical & laboratory work settings.
Students not only get an exposure to the very best in hospital medicine but also spend time in small rural areas & community hospitals in different parts of India.
Eligibility for CMC Vellore :
60% marks in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology (or Botany or Zoology) with English.Candidates seeking admission must have at least 140/200 marks in above subjects.
CMC Vellore entrance exam: Follows a common registration process for all the courses. The registration form can be filled & submitted online followed by submission of fee receipt and required documents at the college.
- CMC Vellore offers admission to MBBS program on the basis of a valid score in NEET UG followed by counselling process adopted by State & Central committees.
- The college offers admission to B.Sc, BOT, BPT, BPO & Diploma courses in Allied Health Science (AHS) courses on the basis of score in Computer Based Test (CBT) followed by an interview.
- Admission to MS (Bioengineering) & M.Tech (Clinical Research) is granted on the basis of a valid score in GATE while M.Sc, MPH & M.Phil admission is offered on the basis of merit and entrance test.
- Students have to qualify in NEET PG to secure a seat in MD & MS program. DM & M.Ch courses are offered on the basis of performance in CBT.
- The college also offers admission to M.Sc (Nursing), B.Sc (Nursing), Diploma & PG Diploma (Nursing) on the basis of score in CBT and assessment test.
- CMC also offers PGDG, PGDFM, DFID & M.Med programs through distance education mode. Admissions are granted on the basis of merit with preference to the relevant experience holders.
- Candidates need to download the online application form &submit it with supporting documents and an application fee of Rs 800 and the registration fee as per the course. The Application fee can be paid by Demand Draft , drawn in favor of C.M.C. Vellore Association a/c” or as a challan at ICICI Bank or by credit/ debit card.
- Candidates can check the CMC website for CMC Vellore Entrance exam dates, this is a computer based test conducted across various cities in India. The test will have multiple choice questions in Physics, Chemistry, Biology General Ability, & a few questions on current issues with emphasis laid on speed & accuracy.
- Results of the CMC Vellore Entrance exam will be available on the college website & premises and shortlisted candidates will be intimated by email / speed Post.
- Based on further special tests & interviews, registrations are begun and candidates can go forward with the CMC Vellore admission.
CMC doctors get placed in all the foremost corporate hospitals across India. It is one of the best medical schools in India and is also a name of repute and acclaim abroad and hence getting a lucrative job with an attractive salary is a walk in the park. In the medical profession, the placement is seamless and also depend on the speciality and the super speciality as chosen by the concerned individual.
Infrastructure: CMC Vellore boasts to be one of the largest tertiary care hospitals in India. The current hospital is a super speciality hospital comprising of 2879 beds, whilst a new hospital is being fabricated around 15 km’s away from the present one, which would be comprising of 4500 beds and is expected to be operational from 2020. Transport includes innumerable college buses for the students, while the amenities include AC classrooms, seats, labs, well equipped and stocked library which is a host to numerous online resources and journals. There are a number of canteens available on the campus. Wi-Fi connectivity is smooth and hostels are provided with amazing mess facilities. The hostels provide single rooms to individuals. Free medical servitudes including surgeries, are provided for the students.
Faculty : The institute is affiliated to Dr. MGR Medical University at Chennai. It doesn’t have a deemed university status though most of the professors are alumni of the college and are tremendously dextrous and proficient, simultaneously being very passionate and devoted to their professions. The state of the art technological guidance and teaching facilities at CMC, helps its graduates excel both nationally and internationally.
Source: Shiksha.com Reviews
Christian Medical College placements is a robust, ongoing activity where students are trained in aptitude, technical & soft skills and seminars, workshops & faculty development programs are also conducted on a regular basis to update the students in the field of engineering.
There are 106 wards including 11 ICU’s and 6 HDU’s. Abou 76% of the beds in general wards are subsidised to reduce the financial burden on patients who are unable to bear such loads in order to get successful treatments. There are 39 major operation theatres along with a further of 14 facilities for functioning of minor procedures. Each day witnesses an average of about 175 operations being carried out. Diagnostic Services are provided in house by the Radiology Department, Nuclear Medicine and the Laboratories. The Radiology reporting is done via a filmless digital system (PACS) which enables the doctors to view the x-rays and scan reports on any computer connected to the network. All the laboratory test results are even made available through means of the hospital intranet as part of their “clinical workstation” hospital information system. The clinical biochemistry department at CMC carries out a huge number of regular tests but also provides a quality control service to over 2,600 minor hospitals at very reasonable, subsidized rates. This is an extremely notable service that helps laboratories with not enough instruments and facilities, to still maintain the accurate standards and the quality of their test results. Each monthly frozen samples are sent to the laboratories who test them and submit their results, on completion of which CMC analyses the test results and provides feedback to each via email.